Curt Schilling says 38 Studios failure will cost him $50 million

After remaining silent as his video game company collapsed around him, Curt Schilling is finally speaking out — and he’s not happy.

The former Red Sox pitcher responded to critics, pointing out that he stands to lose as much as $50 million dollars if his troubled 38 Studios can’t be saved. Specifically, he took aim at Rhode Island’s governor, saying Lincoln Chafee’s negative comments about the company “scared off” potential investors who could have saved the studio.

Read more at Yahoo! Games

BBC mistakes ‘Halo’ logo for U.N. Security Council

This is either one of the most embarrassing news bloopers of the year or the smartest viral marketing scheme we’ve ever seen.

During a report last week on the conflict in Syria, BBC News accidentally used the logo for the ‘United Nations Space Command’ — the agency tasked with protecting Earth from hostile forces in the Halo video game franchise — to represent the significantly less fictional United Nations Security Council. Whoops!

Read more at Yahoo! Games

With trial looming, former Infinity Ward heads speak out

Usually, in the days leading up to a multimillion-dollar trial, both parties keep their mouths shut. But when it’s Jason West and Vince Zampella, the former studio heads of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare developer Infinity Ward, the normal rules go out the window.

The pair sat down with Game Informer for an in-depth conversation, discussing their side of the long battle with their former publisher Activision and revealing a few secrets in the process.

Read more at Yahoo! Games

Curt Schilling’s 38 Studios lays off its entire staff

The sad saga of 38 Studios took an even more depressing turn Thursday afternoon.

The beleaguered game maker run by former Boston Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling abruptly laid off all of its employees, effective immediately. Insiders at the company say they also learned their health insurance will run out at midnight.

Read more at Yahoo! Games

New York looks to make Internet trolling illegal

Less than two months after Arizona stirred up the free speech hornet’s nest by passing legislation that essentially made Internet trolling illegal, New York is trying something very similar.

Proposed legislation in the Empire State would legally force you to identify yourself if someone didn’t like your comment on a web site. Essentially, it’s a ban on anonymous online comments.

Read more at Yahoo! Games

‘Diablo III’ sets PC sales record

Can’t stop playing Diablo III? You and pretty much everyone else who plays computer games.

Blizzard Entertainment says the long-awaited RPG click-fest has set a record as the fastest-selling PC game of all time. Figuring out exactly how many copies the developer sold, though, gets a little complicated.

Read more at Yahoo! Games

Next game from ‘Halo’ creators leaked

If you’ve been itching to play the new game from Bungie, the creators of Halo, you won’t have to wait too much longer.

The company’s new title, codenamed “Destiny,” is scheduled to hit store shelves next fall, and should be playable on both the Xbox 360 and Microsoft’s still officially unannounced next-generation system.

Read more at Yahoo! Games

Zynga stock plummets after Facebook IPO

The trading debut of Facebook didn’t exactly burst out of the gate like many people expected. But while the company was getting pounded in mid-day trading Monday,  shares of “tracking” stocks — companies people invested in to own a piece of Facebook before it went public — have suffered terribly in its wake.

None more so than fellow social giant Zynga.

Read more at Yahoo! Games

Curt Schilling’s game studio teeters on brink of disaster

Former Boston Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling shocked a lot of people when he launched a video game studio following his retirement from baseball. Today, he might be wishing that he hadn’t followed that dream.

38 Studios, who partnered with EA earlier this year to release its debut title, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, is in the midst of a severe financial crisis. The developer was unable to pay its 379 employees this week, and is behind in making repayments to the state of Rhode Island, which loaned the company $75 million in 2010.

Read more at Yahoo! Games

EA, Activision settle ‘Call of Duty’ lawsuit

One of the ugliest lawsuits in the video game industry’s history has been settled just days before going to court, but the legal fireworks may not be over yet.

Activision and Electronic Arts have settled their differences over Jason West and Vince Zampella, former heads of Infinity Ward and creators of the Call of Duty franchise and “agreed to put this matter behind them,” the two publishers said in a joint statement.

Read more at Yahoo! Games